Dear Smart supporter,
Timely Decisions about the Safety of Denver Neighborhoods are Being Made
Please take the time to have your voice heard!
Tomorrow, Wednesday, January 6th from 5:00-7:00 pm MST, the City of Denver is holding a citizen forum to present proposed ways to allow for on-site marijuana consumption locations which can include restaurants, yoga studios, coffee shops, and other locations near you.
Important considerations will be discussed that could significantly impact your kids, schools, businesses, and community for years to come. Your input is critically important.
Please find the ZOOM LINK join the meeting. Additional details can also be found HERE. Forward this to your friends and neighbors--so they too, can be informed.
It is imperative all Denver neighborhoods stay safe for all kids and residents.
Additional Background information:
Smart Colorado has been actively involved and has worked hard to advance and advocate for key safeguards for Denver kids and communities.
The following safeguards to protect kids have been proposed by the City. Please thank the City for these important safeguards as these will be challenged by marijuana businesses:
- No social consumption clubs will be allowed within 1,000 feet of a school, preschool, day care center, outdoor city pools or drug/ alcohol treatment centers
- No outdoor billboard advertising will be permitted
We recommend the following additional regulations be incorporated. We need your help communicating their importance during Wednesday’s meeting:
- Maintain marijuana dispensary hours of operation at 10pm instead of allowing an increase to midnight
- Prohibit sale of marijuana edibles due to delayed impairment impacts and unacceptable drugged driving risks
- Reduce sales limits of marijuana products allowed to be sold to a reasonable serving unit--to minimize negative impacts, including excess marijuana diversion to youth
- Limit outlet density and the number of licenses issued to avoid neighborhood over-saturation and additional inequities and negative impacts it causes
- Require full disclosure of violations of underage admission and reporting of adverse events
- A mandatory tracking system be created to track deliveries from multiple sources to deter the creation of black-market distribution to youth
- No tipping to drivers (cash or electronic)
- Limit sales amounts to minimize diversion to youth, amount of product and cash that can be transferred with each delivery to minimize crime and other safety considerations
Thank you for your continued support to protect kids from the harms of continued and expansive marijuana commercialization in the City of Denver. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can attend this important hearing and let your voice be heard. We are here to help you with any questions you may have before the hearing.
With gratitude for you,
Your Smart CO team